At UK Government Investments (UKGI), we provide the government with expertise in corporate finance and governance. What we do is unique. We are responsible for ensuring the effective governance and stewardship of government owned companies (such as NatWest Group and the British Business Bank), advising the government on corporate finance issues (including interventions into distressed corporate structures, such as Thomas Cook, British Steel or UK’s acquisition of satellite firm OneWeb) and all significant UK government asset sales (for example, the sale of the Green Investment Bank, sale of UK residential mortgages (most recently through a £4.9 billion disposal in 2019), securitisation of the Student Loan book or the IPO of the Royal Mail). The work we do is significant in terms of social, economic and political impact.
Wholly owned by HM Treasury (HMT), UKGI has a team comprised of c.130 experts which is quickly growing, drawn from the private sector (from banks, accountancy and legal firms) and from the Civil Service to ensure we provide government departments with high quality advice that is delivered and acted upon in the best way possible.
Knowledge, skills and attributes required
The work of UKGI sits at the intersection of the private and public sectors and provides an exciting environment in which to apply your expertise. The work is challenging, fast paced and crucial to the delivery of UKGI’s purpose.
We are looking for candidates who have can demonstrate the below;
- Ability to provide solid corporate finance advice and strategic financial management to support the achievement of commercial outcomes relevant to UKGI’s objectives.
- Provide of corporate finance advice on Government special situations or Inward M&A and providing financial, analytical and negotiation support in Government’s dealing with private companies.
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships and gain the confidence of senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrates strong influencing skills, including the ability to act authoritatively when necessary.
- Communicates complex scenarios with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm to non-specialists.
- Scans the political context and takes account of wider impacts to develop strategies for ensuring best value for Government.
- Applies sound judgement, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
- Analyses and uses evidence to evaluate options before arriving at well-reasoned, justifiable decisions.
- Works to agreed goals and activities and deals with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
- Works enthusiastically on a variety of projects even where it does not fit squarely within own core skillset.
- Takes accountability for a high–performance culture to deliver timely, quality outcomes.
At UKGI we place a high degree of value on work life balance and as such applications from individuals seeking flexible working, reduced hours contracts and job shares are actively encouraged.
How to apply
If you would like to be challenged by genuinely fascinating work and work in an environment where work life balance is taken seriously, please apply online with a covering letter and CV.