Secondees from Government departments and private sector businesses are a crucial part of UKGI’s workforce. Over the last year, more than 50 secondees have joined UKGI bringing expertise from a number of Government departments, corporate finance (Barclays, Lazard, Rothschild), professional services (PwC, Deloitte, KPMG), and legal (Slaughter & May, Dentons, Ashurst) enriching our knowledge with best practice insights. Host organisations, secondees and UKGI all benefit from the different secondment programmes.
Insight Secondment Programme
The UKGI Insight Secondment Programme offers private sector corporate financiers and corporate governance practitioners a unique opportunity to work across Government on some of its most interesting and complex commercial tasks. UKGI values the insight and expertise its highly talented secondees bring to the organisation. By bringing together individuals from the public and private sectors, UKGI is able to provide sound advice to Government departments, helping to resolve matters of national interest.
Benefits for employers
UKGI has developed strong relationships with a number of private sector firms such as Lazard, Rothschild, PwC, Deloitte, Citi, Barclays, EY, KPMG and HSBC. These organisations all recognise the value of secondment as a career development opportunity for their high potential talent:
- We work with secondees to help develop their career whether that is through formal training, mentoring or on the job learning;
- Before the start of the secondment, we ensure clear, bespoke objectives are in place to align with the secondee’s own objectives and those of the parent organisation;
- During the secondment, we provide regular performance feedback to the secondee and the parent organisation; and
- Post secondment, we provide formal feedback on the secondee and support the return of the secondees to the parent organisation.
Secondees return to their sponsor organisation with new knowledge, skills and understanding, as well as a broader network gained from their first-hand experience of working in complex political environment.
Benefits for secondees
As a secondee, you will work with senior-level public and private sector officials on a diverse portfolio of projects. You will be involved in helping UKGI to promote good governance of publicly owned businesses, support the Government’s private sector interventions, or deliver orderly transactions that generate value for money.
- Knowledge: Each secondee has the chance to broaden their understanding of the workings of Government and Civil Service, partnering with many different departments within Whitehall.
- Contacts: Secondees engage and interact with senior-level public, private sector officials and Ministers on a diverse portfolio of work – providing crucial advice and support to Government departments to ensure taxpayers get the best value from the assets it owns.
- Development: An opportunity to be mentored during the programme by a senior leader with extensive expertise in finance and governance.
- Learning: Access to a range of learning and development programmes to build desired skills from providers such as Fitch Learning and the Institute of Directors.
- Culture: Work within an inclusive and supportive work culture that promotes diversity and a healthy work-life balance.
How to apply
The scheme is for individuals with a minimum of 3-4 years’ experience in corporate finance, corporate governance, financial modelling, financial analysis or restructuring. The programme typically runs for a minimum period of nine months but can be extended to 18 months.
Speak to your HR department to apply for the programme or to arrange for your organisation to partner with UKGI.
Civil Service Secondment
Secondees from the Civil Service enrich UKGI’s knowledge with best practice insights from across government. The policy expertise that Civil Service secondees bring helps UKGI to navigate Whitehall and provides and important framework for the skills and experience of private sector colleagues.
Secondees benefit from an opportunity to develop core commercial skills which they can apply in their career as civil servants. Read our case studies to understand how colleagues have benefitted from a secondment at UKGI.
Secondment opportunities are advertised on civil service jobs.